Taxpayer-backed Lloyds Bank has topped the list of most complaints made in the first half of 2016 to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS).
There were a whopping 22,241 new cases lodged against the lender, and a further 22,090 made against the Bank of Scotland, which is part of the same group.
Payment protection insurance (PPI) were the subject of the bulk of complaints with Lloyds receiving 16,626 and Bank of Scotland receiving 17,358.
The second-most complained about product to the firms were about banking and credit.
Barclays was the third most complained about financial business, followed by HSBC in fourth place.
The ombudsman said it took on a total of 169,132 new complaint cases in the first half of 2016 – an increase of three per cent on the previous period, with just over half of issues relating to PPI.
Payday lending saw the biggest increase in complaints compared to the six months prior, with the double number of customers with issues relating to the loans.
Chief ombudsman Caroline Wayman said: “Although it’s a few years now since PPI complaints peaked, we have been receiving over 3,000 a week for six years running – despite wider expectations that numbers will fall.
“And we’re continuing to deal with the issues and uncertainties around PPI which remain a significant challenge for everyone involved.
“Lots of factors can influence the complaints we see, from more people knowing about their rights when things go wrong to external factors like volatility in the stock market or extreme weather conditions.
“That’s why I believe it’s important that we continue to share our insights into complaints to help businesses to avoid the mistakes of the past.”
The 10 most complained about financial businesses
1. Lloyds, 22241 complaints over six months
2. Bank of Scotland, 22090 complaints over six months
3. Barclays, 18,603 complaints over six months
4. HSBC 11,082 complaints over six months
5. NatWest 8,027 complaints over six months
6. Financial Insurance Company, 6,612 complaints over six months
7. MBNA, 5852 complaints over six months
8. Santander, 5,605 complaints over six months
9. Capital One, 5,073 complaints over six months
10. The Royal Bank of Scotland, 4,480