Women who have sex very frequently are more likely to become pregnant, a recent study shows. Many are probably thinking to themselves that a study isn’t needed for that, it’s obvious — the more sex a woman has, the more likely she is to conceive since she would also be having sex during ovulation. However, this study wasn’t focusing on the timing of sexual activity to ovulation, but rather how frequent sex may alter a woman’s hormones and cause her fertility to increase. Infertility affects approximately 10 percent of the population, as previously reported by the Inquisitr.
The average fertile couple who have sex during ovulation, without birth control, has approximately a 15 to 20 percent chance of conceiving any given month, though that tends to steadily decrease as the female ages. Those aren’t bad odds, but why doesn’t it happen the other 80 percent of the time? The answer may lie in hormones, immunology, and optimal environment for semen within a woman’s body. Fertility, or lack thereof, is a significant problem in many parts of the world. Some think this is due to diet, stress, and the fact that women are delaying childbearing in order to get a career well underway first. While these are all plausible explanations, researchers studied other variables that may affect conception rates among women. According to The News Nigeria, women have a better chance of conception if they’ve been having sex frequently outside of the ovulation period, instead of only during ovulation.
There had been previous reports showing that sex outside of a woman’s ovulation period could increase her chances for getting pregnant, but nobody understood why this was so. The answer seems to lay in immunology — women who have more frequent sex trigger a reaction in their immune system, producing a kinder environment for sperm. Researchers at the Kinsey Institute and Indiana University explain how this works.
“Frequent sex promotes the release of Type 2 T- cells. Higher Type 2 T-cell counts during the luteal phase of the cycle result in a better environment for conception; this is when the uterine lining thickens after ovulation and before the menstrual period starts, when a woman is most fertile.”
Without Type 2 T-cells, a woman’s body is likely to fight off sperm because it recognizes it as being foreign to her body. Therefore, the study concludes, women who have more Type 2 T-cells are less likely to have an immune response that kills sperm, making it easier to become pregnant. The research not only explained how the T-cells were helpful — it also debunked the theory that women should only have a lot of sex during ovulation, according to the report.
“The researchers found that sexually active women had higher levels of certain antibodies at different times of their cycle, and the pattern reflected the body’s efforts to ramp up its protective defense to prepare for the potential for pregnancy. Currently, many physicians tell couples that more sex is better, but to be sure they spend extra time in bed at the peak in a woman’s cycle when she is fertile (the five days leading up to ovulation). But the study suggests sex at other points throughout the cycle may also play a role in fertility, and that means physicians might tell couples who want a baby to have more sex throughout the entire month.”
According to The Guardian, couples who wish to conceive a baby should be having sex every day in order to increase their chances of conception. This is very different advice than has been recommended in the past, when it was believed a man’s sperm count is higher if he has sex every couple of days instead of every day. While a man may have more sperm in a single ejaculation if he waits several days, the average man’s everyday ejaculation contains more than enough sperm to impregnate his partner — assuming her body does not reject the sperm. This is good news for people who have been under stress to “time sex to the day before ovulation” — now they can rest assured that every day is a good day to increase chances of conceiving.[In-Article Images by Getty Images, Christopher Furlong/Getty Images, Featured Image By Getty]