When asked if he would blame George W. Bush for the 9/11 attacks, Ben Carson said “I certainly don’t think so,” and also said he doubts Trump actually meant to blame the former President for the attacks.
Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson distanced himself Sunday from Donald Trump’s controversial assertion that George W. Bush was to blame for the Sept. 11, 2011 attacks.
“I certainly don’t think so,” the retired neurosurgeon said on ABC’s “This Week” about whether he himself would blame the former President for the terrorist attacks.
Carson, however, also defended Trump, saying that he didn’t think the bombastic billionaire really meant what he said when he suggested last week that Bush was partly responsible for Sept. 11.
“I seriously doubt that he’s saying that — that George W. Bush is to blame for it,” Carson said. “But beyond that, I would ask him.”
On Friday, Trump ignited another firestorm when, in an interview with Bloomberg News, he said: “When you talk about George Bush, I mean, say what you want, the World Trade Center came down during his time.”
“Hold on, you can’t blame George Bush for that,” the stunned Bloomberg TV anchor Stephanie Ruhle responded.
“He was President, OK?” the GOP front-runner then added. “Blame him, or don’t blame him, but he was President. The World Trade Center came down during his reign.”
In the days since, Bush and Trump have engaged in a bitter back and forth of insults and attacks over the original comments.